Thursday, September 3, 2009

Using Language

Informing is about telling. I recently told everyone that the late night shuttle bus for Friday and Saturday nights was cut. You should all probably know that too. Now you have to walk to Gallaudet from the subway station at night. Probably should never go alone ever, just a recommendation. Not exactly a safe neighborhood.

Sometimes people don't believe you when you inform them. Or they get their facts wrong. Then it's time to pull out my favorite method of communicating: Convincing. Sometimes I get convinced, too!

I remember two weeks ago I went to Ocean City. The first bus back to Gallaudet left at 2:00. My friend convinced me that that was just the meeting time and that it really left at 2:30. Turns it he was, indeed, wrong, and that we had to wait two more hours for the next bus. Just because you convince someone of something doesn't mean it's right. Good lesson to learn, and embarrassing to fix.

Another way to use language is to explore. You can explore ideas, cultures, knowledge, the list goes on and on. You can ask, you can guess, you can learn from others using language. That's what college is all about. Using language to communicate, and learn from it. Rather than be informed that this works like that, college is about exploring topics that interest you.

3 comments:

  1. Pardon my language, but it's *Bleep* normal thing, unfortunately. Growing up, I always heard stories about the cannibal principal, the neighbor who kills children for their skins, even when I get older, some things i still believed because i got convinced by others with trivial things such as convincing me a movie isn't that good, and I believed them, when I should just go and watch it for myself and choose for myself.. Good lesson to learn, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, whenever someone makes a mistake on anything they should not be mocked on about because everyone makes mistakes, its a good way to learn. Everyone is not perfect either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with Legendary Frog, we all try to convince or be convinced. it's a norm for us. I mean, every minute, people all over the world get convinced on something, either bad or good. we all learn from persuasion and lessons it brings us when we get convinced.

    ReplyDelete